Wednesday, April 16, 2014

DREAMS!


Most days, when asked, "Hey Jarrett! How you doing?"  My response is usually "Living the dream!" But am I really? This past weekend, I was watching Coachella as it was televised on YouTube. And one of the bands that I was surprised to see play is a band that consists of 3 black pre-teens who plays metal... Those boys are SO. FUCKING. GOOD!!! They are known as "Unlocking The Truth." One of the members, co-founder Malcolm, addressed the crowd saying to them: "Y'all having a good time?" To which the growing crowd responded with a cheer... Just before Alec's bass was fixed, and they started playing again, he said "This is a dream come true." He was referring to playing Coachella. These 3 young men started playing metal because they did not want to be like everyone else, who's all about hip-hop, in their Brooklyn neighborhood. With parents who lovingly allows the noise of electric guitars and heavy drums fill the halls of their house, these boys self groomed themselves to be bigger than they could imagine, and I am proud to say that I am a fan of theirs, and wish them nothing but the best from here til Kingdom Come. They have played with the likes of Motorhead, and other legends of rock and metal... These kids are going to be around for a long long time.

But back to the subject... Am I really living the dream? Am I really giving my all to be the best that I can be every day? Nope. I can honestly say that I am not. BUT, can that change? Yes! Will it? It has to! The heart strings are being tugged to do something. So, getting up and moving will be something I will do... Being the best that I can in school will be something that I will do as well. I love school. I love my teachers, I love my subjects, and it just makes me feel good, and accomplished. I have to start looking for a job in the field one day soon as well... We shall see how it all works out. But am I living the dream? What does dream living consist of really?

Well, as we all are pretty familiar with, the American Dream is what you make of yourself in this life... That can be said about someone from Canada, or Rwanda... Are they living the Canadian or Rwandan Dream? Is it the same thing as the American Dream? Well, my dream is to be a successful film maker in the concentrations of editing and writing. Even if I am not the best, I know that is where I will find my happiness. So, I am doing what I can to make my dream come true. And I hope that one day, when I say "Living the dream," its not for laughs, but for real. Something I can smile about. But even in joking, I feel like I am truly living the dream... Despite self-questioning and answering, I know that I am living the dream. I am employed, I am educated, I am loved, I am accepted, I am liked, and I am happy... I don't have the white picket fence, or the garage full of cars, but one day, I will... Things will not bring happiness... Working hard at not working anymore, will.

No comments:

Post a Comment