Friday, October 11, 2013

Lables

How do you define yourself?

I know that this 5 word question is loaded, but when you think about it... How do you choose what you like and what you hate, what you believe and what you vilify? What does your dress say about your statement to whatever is established for you to be the person that you are? What about your choices? What do they say about you? Can you answer that without coming up with a label? Is that even possible? I dont know!

I'm writing this blog because Janelle Monae stated in her song titled, Q.U.E.E.N., "Categorize me, I defy EVERY label." She said that because she's been battling the media to see if she is gay or not... Personally, it doesn't matter if she is or isn't. She's an amazing artist, and her talents should be what they are digging into, not her sexual preferences. Back to the point... if you aren't a fan of labels, that's cool! But who are you? How do I know what you are if you aren't, for lack of a better term--something?

Me, I'm a black, 30 something, who loves rock music, football, hockey, pineapples, good-bad food, and good good food, and everything that I discover. I am an introvert who poses as an extrovert! I am afro-punk, and I am myself. I am a rock at the bottom of the river, and that guy you don't want to get mad. I am a Christian, but I don't necessarily follow the same path of most under the same faith. I like to show my faith by letting it shine, and not by preaching... That's just me. I just labeled myself like 15 different things... These labels make me who I am today! What are your labels? I ask again... How do you define yourself?

When you try to be different, you just being the same as someone else. And guess what, more than one of the same thing gets categorized. Nature of the beast. Now, don't go off thinking that I'm saying that Janelle Monae is wrong in what she said, and what shes defending. That is not the case. I am simply saying that me personally, I think you should embrace your labels and who you are... Anyone and everyone who is living is going to be categorized. When you made, you are going to come out into this world a girl or a boy... When you come out, and depending on your parents, you may be black, white, or mixed. From there, you may be tall or short. You may have an illness, or you may lead a "perfect" life... So, again I ask... How do you define yourself?

What about your dreams? What about the way you keep your sanity? When you imagine your world, what's in it? When you look at the world around you, how you you see it? How can you change it? What colors would you paint your world? What would stand out in it? Can it be real? What strides are you taking to make it real? I cant wait to see it, dreamer!

Don't be afraid of labels! Embrace them if you have to, but be sure to embrace them for the right reasons. Don't be something that you are not, but do not allow something that someone says define you! If you have a label, make sure that it has all the positivity it can. DO NOT ALLOW ANYONE to define you, or your labels. So, I ask for the final time... How do you define yourself? Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment